To bring the fresh fragrances of a spring garden inside, stylist Meghan Guthrie created a scented flower arrangement that’s perfect for your bedroom. “There are so many flowers with distinctive smells, but subtle ones like lavender, sweet pea, and peony can really impart a sense of serenity and calm in the sleep space.”
What you’ll need:
- A simple grouping of fragrant flowers (we went with summer lilac, lavender, white peony, jasmine, and sweet pea)
- Scented greenery (we opted for geranium, but we also like mint, rosemary, clary sage, and eucalyptus)
- A flower frog for keeping stems in place
Making the bouquet:
1. Begin by choosing a vase and placing a flower frog inside as an anchor for all the stems. “With a bouquet of fragrant flowers, try a round vase—it gives a 360-degree airing effect for the scents,” explains Meghan.
2. Add in the greens. “I started with geranium to ground the arrangement,” Meghan says. “Then I moved to the flowers with the most height—for this bouquet it was the summer lilac.”
3. Layer in the rest of the flowers, rotating the vase as you do so. “I arranged the lavender, white peony, jasmine, and sweet pea in clusters to balance out the height of the lilac and the leafy geranium,” Meghan notes. “This lets the lilac—a favorite of mine—shine through.”
- If “less is more” is your decorating mantra, try “a simple lavender bunch in a tall vase,” says Meghan. “Lavender and chamomile are said to help you sleep better.”
- For a bouquet with a slight mingling of fragrances, “I like to pair sweet pea and geranium, or I group lavender, sweet pea, and peony,” she says.
- Resist the temptation to pile on scents. “Some other in-season blooms known for their smells are roses, lilies, hyacinths, magnolias, and orange blossoms. But they may be a bit too overpowering for the bedroom.”
- Edit your floral varieties. “I chose these flowers as if I were choosing a perfume—something sweet, but not too overwhelming,” Meghan says.
And speaking of perfume, if you’re ever drawing a blank on presents for Mom, try a softly scented bouquet—she’ll think of you as she drifts off to sweet dreams each night.